Saturday, April 25, 2009

Introducing ...

Now before we get too far into this, I have to say this wasn't my idea. The blog, I mean, because I have wondered - as do others - if this is really my style. However, I do admire the name of this blog that my good mate Dave Langley came up with. Langers has a blog, other mates have blogs, we sometimes do silly crap that makes for good yarns over beers, so, why not?

The title of this blog is truly one for those with a sense of history, those cyclists who'd been startled by the site of the mutt licking the salt off their legs, or opened the window in old Ted-the-Kingswood when he'd let rip from one too many meatybites. Yes, Rufus became part of the inner-city Sydney cycling scene and part of my life after Bronny bought him home from Queensland. Since those heady days I kept him alive by adopting a silly pseudonym when writing the odd article for Cyclingnews, when I wasn't being the then stressed-out publisher. So Rufus Staffordshire (who I must sadly tell folks is now in doggy-heaven) will live on, at least in this blog. He was a red Staffordhsire bull terrier, who spent much of his life with gonads, so he could be a little, testy, at times. But he was everyone's mate, and we all loved him.

Getting to this point has been eventful, though it was definitely my idea to be setting off on this journey that will - I hope - generate material for this blog that folks will want to read. And I can also think of all the emails it will save me sending, so it has a green angle, I think.

It's taken me about 3 months to even get to this point of adding something to the blog, due to the travel, meetings and business matters, but hopefully now I will get on a roll. It was a rainy Sunday in Gent, Belgium, today, so I had no choice, really. (I have backdated the posts so they make sense, as I am axctually doing all of this on August 2, 2009.)

No comments:

Post a Comment